FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW DO BAKKIE & BAKKIE LIGHT ATTACH TO THE LUGGAGE RACK ?
Attaching the bag Bakkie as support Bakkie light is achieved using two straps looped around the top of the luggage rack.
Both straps are adjustable to suit the diameter of the carrier's tube, even the very large tubes of some bikes that make hook fastening impossible.
On electric bikes with the battery in the luggage rack, it's sometimes impossible to use the mounting hooks found on many touring panniers. With the Bakkies, however, you can remove the battery to install the pannier, then put it back on. The Bakkie is then secured to the luggage rack.
This simple system can also be used to attach the bag to the body of a cargo bike, to the handlebars of a folding bike, or anywhere else where it might be useful !
CAN THE BAKKIES BE ATTACHED TO THE LUGGAGE RACK ?
By default, there is no system for holding the pannier against the luggage rack, for two reasons:
- The pannier support consists of two layers of fabric enclosing a foam panel. This padding protects your fragile cargo from aggressive parts of the luggage rack (a guitar case, for example) and avoids the noise it might generate when banging against the rack. It's no big deal if the pannier swings away from the bike on a little bump, so it's all done in silence !
- The additional straps supplied allow this to be done if necessary, in the case of a very high object that could topple over the luggage rack, for example.
However, a chain of straps on the bike-side rack allows you to add a velcro, colson or other type of fastener, to be passed through the luggage rack uprights.
HOW SAFE AND EASY IS IT TO TRANSPORT A GUITAR BY BIKE ?
Carrying your guitar on your bike in its bag or case is easy with Bakkies panniers. The guitar is placed vertically in the rack, with one strap holding the body against the bike at the bottom, and another holding the neck at the top.
The padded support prevents any bolts or protruding parts of the luggage rack from punching into the instrument body.
ARE STRAPS INCLUDED ?
Yes, you will receive your Bakkie or Bakkie light with 3 straps (40, 60 and 90 cm) stored in their own pocket (under the reflective logo).
To differentiate them, the seams are in different colors.
IS MY LUGGAGE RACK COMPATIBLE WITH BAKKIES ?
Bakkies can be fitted to all types of luggage racks, but as with all panniers, they shouldn't get in the way of pedaling.
As it depends on the bike, the carrier, your shoe size and the way you pedal, it's difficult to answer for everyone ;-)
If you're in any doubt, the printable test will help you. And if you're still in doubt, contact us - we'll almost always find a solution !
MY BIKE HAS SMALL WHEELS, CAN I STILL USE THE BAKKIES ?
From 20 inches upwards, no problem. Below that, as on a Brompton, they risk rubbing the ground at the slightest bend.
In this case, however, it is possible to install it on the handlebars, as it is very high in relation to the wheel. Be careful with the load in this case: when the front of the bike is weighed down and the load turns with the handlebars (as with a handlebar-mounted bicycle basket), this changes the bike's behavior, so test beforehand and be careful !
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN BAKKIE AND BAKKIE LIGHT ?
For both, the adjustable support is identical and three additional straps are supplied.
Visit Bakkie also includes roll-up bag and carrying handle
WHY EVO ?
Bakkies and Bakkies light "Evo" are the second generation, replacing the previous one in March 2023.
What's changed :
- The large eyelet with its flap on the back of the pannier for passing the anti-theft device is replaced by a small one at the top, easier to access, with an internal diameter of 13mm.
- The new buckles, which look almost identical to their predecessors, are not the same. This is why there are two strap kit references, both of which are unfortunately not compatible.
- A gusset plate is added to the lower part of the support: if required, it can be used to integrate a batten to stiffen the lower part of the support in certain very specific cases.
- A chain of straps appears at the rear, enabling the rack to be secured to the luggage rack with a plastic collar or similar.